Gran Canaria -Canary Islands
There are many reasons to choose Gran Canaria as the next holiday destination. It's great climate and it's beautiful beaches are just some of that. On this island one can find a extraordinary cultural heritage and a beautiful backdrop for all water sports.
The variety of landscapes in Gran Canaria is stunning. There is an incredible variety of beaches along its 236 km of coastline. One can find in the south of the island both quiet bays, and well-known tourist areas such as Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and San Bartolom√© de Tirajana, where there is the famous beach Playa del Ingl√©s, with unique places like the beach of Maspalomas, with its dunes and the wide, unspoiled sandy beaches of G√ľi-G√ľi.
The principals destinations of Gran Canary:
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Playa del Ingl√©s
- Puerto Rico
- San Agustin
- La Playa de Tauro
- La Playa de Mog√°n
- Santa Br√≠gida
Cran Canaria offers wonderful opportunities for all lovers of water sports. Some possibilities are: diving, surfing, sailing and windsurfing course - the island is one of the best places in the world for this sport and of course here, therefore, also held international competitions.
Cran Canaria's natural environment offers other attractions. 46% of its surface are UNESCO biosphere reserves.
There is a wide network of paths and trails on the island. You can explore the various protected areas on foot or by bicycle, and even see whales and dolphins in their natural habitat, which are often seen at the southern beaches of the island.
Access to the island by plane and boat may be on the capital Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (the airport is only 18 km from the city). A great way to explore the island is to rent a car - the maximum distance between any two points is only 47.5 kilometers.
Gran Canaria: a miniature continent and a UNESCO Biosphere reserve
The Gran Canaria Biosphere Reserve was designated by UNESCO in 2005. It takes in 46 percent of island's surface area, as well as an extensive marine area off the southwest coast
Gran Canaria's huge diversity of landscapes is the reason why it has come to be known as the "miniature continent": from canyons and mountainous peaks, to beaches, forests and cliffs. Almost half of the island's 1,560 square kilometres fall within the Biosphere Reserve area in the southwest of the island.
It includes: the municipalities of Aldea de San Nicol√°s, Artenara and Tejeda; all the territory of San Bartolom√© de Tirajana, Agaete and Mog√°n, located at more than 300 metres above sea level; the marine area and a small part of the San Mateo Plain, in the centre of the island, which also falls within the El Nublo Nature Reserve.
The area takes in nature reserves such as Inagua, Tamadaba and Pilancones, along with the huge Tejada Basin depression. Its mountains provide a water catchment area that drains into canyons and cultivated valleys, running down to the coast.
In general terms, there are three different types of ecosystem: one is arid and semi-arid, with vegetation of spurges; another is sub-humid, where mention should be made of forests of Canary Island pine (a species unique to this area); the third is transitional humid, with fayal-brezal (fir and heath) vegetation and vestiges of laurisilva forest. There is also great biodiversity on the coast, with loggerhead turtles and cetaceans such as bottlenose and Risso's dolphins.
Hotels and apartments in the principals destinations of Gran Canary:
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - All hotels and apartments of Las Palmas de Gran Canary in a list | on a map >>>
- Playa del Ingl√©s - All hotels and apartments of Playa del Ingles in a list | on a map >>>
- Maspalomas - All hotels and apartments of Maspalomas in a list | on a map >>>
- Puerto Rico - All hotels and apartments of Puerto Rico in a list | on a map >>>
- San Agustin - All hotels and apartments of San Agustin in a list | on a map >>>
- Taurito - All hotels and apartments of Taurito in a list | on a map >>>
- Vecindario - All hotels and apartments of Vecindario in a list | on a map >>>
- La Playa de Tauro
- Agaete - All hotels and apartments of Agaete in a list | on a map >>>
- La Playa de Mog√°n - All hotels and apartments of La Playa de Mog√°n in a list | on a map >>>
- Patalavaca - All hotels and apartments of Patalavaca in a list | on a map >>>
- Santa Br√≠gida - All hotels and apartments of Santa Br√≠gida in a list | on a map >>>